Chilled Cucumber and Watercress Soup
For an elegant lunch on a hot summer day, serve this soup topped with a bit of chopped mint. If you prefer, serve it hot, topped with chopped parsley or dill.
- 3 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2/3 cup peeled, chopped potato
- 4 to 5 cups unpeeled, chopped cucumbers (2 large - 3/4 lb. each)
- 1/2 cup lightly packed watercress leaves
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh mint (optional)
Melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the onion, potato, cucumbers, and watercress. Saute the vegetables for 3-5 minutes or until they are slightly wilted. Remove them from the heat and place in a 3-quart saucepan. Add the chicken broth, then bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until all the vegetables are soft. Remove from the heat and puree in a blender or food processor until very smooth. Add the cream and salt and pepper. Chill. Correct the seasoning before serving. Top each serving with mint.